[Rd] New pipe operator

Hiroaki Yutani yut@n|@|n| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Dec 6 04:29:23 CET 2020

It is common practice to call |> as pipe (or pipeline operator) among
many languages
including ones that recently introduced it as an experimental feature.
Pipeline is a
common feature for functional programming, not just for "data pipeline."

    F#: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/fsharp/language-reference/symbol-and-operator-reference/
    Elixir: https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/operators.html#general-operators
    Typescript:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Pipeline_operator
    Ruby: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15799

(This blog post about the history of pipe operator might be
interesting: https://mamememo.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-brief-history-of-pipeline-operator.html
)

I agree this is a bit confusing for those who are familiar with other
"pipe" concepts,
but there's no other appropriate term to call |>.