[Rd] translation domain is wrong in stopifnot()?

Wed Dec 2 13:09:20 CET 2020

    > I don't know if this would be considered a bug in either stopifnot()
    > or (n)gettext(), or not a bug at all, but sometimes the translation
    > domain is not set properly for stopifnot() messages, so they won't be
    > translated. E.g.

    > Sys.setenv(LANGUAGE = "de")

    > # This is good
    > stopifnot(FALSE)
    > #> Fehler: FALSE ist nicht TRUE

    > f <- function() stopifnot(FALSE)
    > # This is not
    > f()
    > #> Fehler in f() : FALSE is not TRUE

    > Gabor

or even just directly :

  > (function() stopifnot(1))()
  Fehler in (function() stopifnot(1))() : 1 is not TRUE

I agree there is a bug.

The problem is that the default for the optional 'domain'
argument does not "work" correctly in the 2nd case.

I've checked that this can be worked around if I explicitly add

  , domain = "R-base"

to the ngettext() call   [ and also the gettext() call above ] .
Then I do get

  > (function() stopifnot(1))()
  Fehler in (function() stopifnot(1))() : 1 ist nicht TRUE

For now I'd claim the bug is in the underlying C code of
gettext() , ngettext() ...

It would we good to report this in R's bugzilla, please,
see https://www.r-project.org/bugs.html

Martin