[Rd] trace creates object in base namespace if called on function argument

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Aug 26 18:34:19 CEST 2020

Hi Antoine,

ok, I thought you were reporting that

 > foo <- function() "hello"
 > trace2 <- function(fun) trace(fun, quote(print("!!!")))
 > trace2(foo)
 > base::fun

in error did not trace "foo" in the top-level environment. This is,
however, expected, because "trace" is called with argument fun, so the
name of the function binding to replace is "fun" (not "foo"), and "fun"
does not exist in the top-level environment. You cannot wrap "trace"
like this.

If you meant to report that instead of throwing an error that an object
named "fun" was not found, this example inserts the instrumented code
into "base", that I also find surprising. The behavior I would have
expected is like with primitive tracing

 > foo <- function() "hello"
 > trace2 <- function(fun) trace(fun)
 > trace2(foo)
 > base::fun
Error in get(name, envir = ns, inherits = FALSE) : object 'fun' not found

If you are interested in this problem, feel free to investigate in more
detail (validate it is a bug via reading the documentation in detail,
reading the code, debugging, checking the commit history) and if it
turns out to be really a bug, feel free to submit a well-tested minimal
patch, via bugzilla.

Thanks,
Tomas