[Rd] [External] Re: R 4.0.0 build error with sysdata.rda on ppc64el architecture

Thu Apr 30 16:37:00 CEST 2020

On 30 April 2020 at 09:11, luke-tierney using uiowa.edu wrote:
| On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| Maybe I missed something. How is the 'compiler' package involved?

See the other email thread; you replied (~ 26 hours ago) to my message adding
that "sysdata.rda in 'tools' hanging was wrong". It gets to the next stage,
which is 'compiler'.

We know by now (thanks to Bryan and Tomas) that src/main/machar.c is the real
culprit due to the long double behaviour on ppc64el.  I presume 'compiler'
calls into platform.c and hence machar.c for calibration or setup.

On the Debian side, I just shipped an updated source package which will skip
long double support on this platform.  That should allow builds to complete,
hopefully, so that we can look into get the build from 'experimental' into
'unstable' and the distro proper.  In the meantime, there are alternative
venues for getting R 4.0.0 binaries for Debian and Ubuntu as previously
mentioned.

Dirk