[Rd] Rtools and R 4.0.0?

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Apr 6 09:39:21 CEST 2020

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 9:36 PM Kevin Ushey <kevinushey using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> FWIW, I'm excited at the prospect at seeing a new toolchain for
> Windows, since it would imply support for C++17 and so it would become
> easier for CRAN packages to depend on the newer C++ standard.

One thing to keep in mind (having been the R installation owner in such a
place for multiple years) is that many coproprate or otherwise controlled
compute environments may not have access to a c++17 compiler on their
servers so making it easy for packages to rely on that is not purely
beneficial to all parts of the R community. Not saying that should heavily
inform this decision, just wanted to throw that out there since the topic
came up. Personally if R packages are making the switch all the way  up to
17 this soon I have to say i'm glad I got out of the R administration game.

I don't have anything to add about the toolchain update discussions ,
though from what Prof Ripley said I guess they are ongoing.

~G