[Rd] [FORGED] Re: Plotmath on Fedora 31 broken with with pango >= 1.44 - workarounds?

Paul Murrell p@u| @end|ng |rom @t@t@@uck|@nd@@c@nz
Wed Apr 1 04:52:18 CEST 2020

On 31/03/20 8:04 pm, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 31 mars 2020 à 15:07 +1300, Paul Murrell a écrit :
>

>> Thanks, that's useful.  For my own memory, this is the parenthesis
>> block
>> that might be useful ...
>>
>> U+239b Sm LEFT PARENTHESIS UPPER HOOK ⎛
>> U+239c Sm LEFT PARENTHESIS EXTENSION ⎜
>> U+239d Sm LEFT PARENTHESIS LOWER HOOK ⎝
>> U+239e Sm RIGHT PARENTHESIS UPPER HOOK ⎞
>> U+239f Sm RIGHT PARENTHESIS EXTENSION ⎟
>> U+23a0 Sm RIGHT PARENTHESIS LOWER HOOK ⎠
>> U+23a1 Sm LEFT SQUARE BRACKET UPPER CORNER ⎡
>> U+23a2 Sm LEFT SQUARE BRACKET EXTENSION ⎢
>> U+23a3 Sm LEFT SQUARE BRACKET LOWER CORNER ⎣
>> U+23a4 Sm RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET UPPER CORNER ⎤
>> U+23a5 Sm RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET EXTENSION ⎥
>> U+23a6 Sm RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET LOWER CORNER ⎦
>> U+23a7 Sm LEFT CURLY BRACKET UPPER HOOK ⎧
>>
>> However, the situation is still not completely straightforward.  The
>> style of the symbols is also an issue and the DejaVu symbols are not
>> as elegant as, say, the OpenSymbol symbols.  What makes things tricky
>> is that, AFAICS, DejaVu has (TTX Unicode cmap output) ...
>
> Ah, the endless design discussions… Myself I prefer a consistent design
> like Dejavu, over cobbling symbols of different designs, because they
> used to be in separate fonts. Anyway:
>
>> <map code="0x239b" name="uni239B"/><!-- LEFT PARENTHESIS UPPER HOOK
>> -->
>>
>> ... while OpenSymbol has ...
>>
>> <map code="0xf8eb" name="parenlefttp"/><!-- ???? -->
>>
>> ... but neither has the other.
>
> OpenSymbol is incorrect (it suffers from the same pre-unicode bias as
> R). However, it is, to my knowledge, actively maintained. You can ask
> its upstream (LibreOffice) for Unicode conformance fixes if you find
> problems. Especially when it’s just fixing the map of an existing
> glyph, that should not be hard for them to fix. Anything PUA-related
> won’t interoperate well in an unicode world.
>
> (you can ask DejaVu too, maybe a request from a project like R will
> wake up its maintainers. But, that’s a long shot. DejaVu suffers from
> an almost done state without enough remaining work to interest
> designers).
>
> Regards,

Thanks again!  I will try contacting with those font projects.

In the meantime, I will look at allowing the user to select a
symbol-to-unicode mapping or a symbol-to-unicode-using-PUA mapping
alongside their choice of symbolfamily so that we can get a variety of
things to work for now.

Paul
--
Dr Paul Murrell