[Rd] Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘utils

Laurent Gautier |g@ut|er @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Sep 8 19:40:54 CEST 2019

R_HOME is not the issue, and I believe that R_LIBS is not involved with
packages such as "datasets", "utils", etc...
I suspect that the issue is around dynamic loading of C libraries, as
depending on the way the R shared library is called the issue is absent or
present, but the error reporting from R makes tracking this easy.

Le dim. 8 sept. 2019 à 13:22, William Dunlap <wdunlap using tibco.com> a écrit :

> Also, check the settings of R_HOME and/or R_LIBS.
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 9:58 AM William Dunlap <wdunlap using tibco.com> wrote:
>
>> Look at section 6.1 of the R Installation and Admin manual.
>>
>> 6.1 Default packages
>>
>> The set of packages loaded on startup is by default
>>
>> > getOption("defaultPackages")
>> [1] "datasets"  "utils"     "grDevices" "graphics"  "stats"     "methods"
>>
>> (plus, of course, *base*) and this can be changed by setting the option
>> in startup code (e.g. in ~/.Rprofile). It is initially set to the value
>> of the environment variable R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES if set (as a
>> comma-separated list). Setting R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL ensures that only
>> package *base* is loaded.
>>
>> Changing the set of default packages is normally used to reduce the set
>> for speed when scripting: in particular not using *methods*will reduce
>> the start-up time by a factor of up to two. But it can also be used to
>> customize R, e.g. for class use. Rscript also checks the environment
>> variable R_SCRIPT_DEFAULT_PACKAGES; if set, this takes precedence over
>> R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES.
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 8:42 AM Laurent Gautier <lgautier using gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When starting an embedded R I encounter the following issue under certain
>>> conditions:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘utils’ in if
>>> (.identC(class1,
>>> class2) || .identC(class2, "ANY")) TRUE else {:
>>>  missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
>>> ```
>>> (more such errors for grDevices, graphics, and stats)
>>>
>>> And in the end:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> Warning messages:
>>> 1: package ‘utils’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found
>>> 2: package ‘grDevices’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found
>>> 3: package ‘graphics’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found