[Rd] head.matrix can return 1000s of columns -- limit to n or add new argument?

Wed Oct 30 12:29:45 CET 2019

    > Hi all,
    > So I've started working on this and I ran into something that I didn't
    > know, namely that for x a multi-dimensional (2+) array, head(x) and tail(x)
    > ignore dimension completely, treat x as an atomic vector, and return an
    > (unclassed) atomic vector:

Well, that's  (3+), not "2+" .

But I did write (on Sep 17 in this thread!)

  > The current source for head() and tail() and all their methods
  > in utils is just 83 lines of code  {file utils/R/head.R minus
  > the initial mostly copyright comments}.

and if've ever looked at these few dozen of R code lines, you'll
have seen that we just added two simple utilities with a few
reasonable simple methods.  To treat non-matrix (i.e. non-2d)
arrays as vectors, is typically not unreasonable in R, but
indeed with your proposals (in this thread), such non-2d arrays
should be treated differently either via new  head.array() /
tail.array() methods ((or -- only if it can be done more nicely -- by
the default method)).

Note however the following  historical quirk :

> sapply(setNames(,1:5), function(K) inherits(array(pi, dim=1:K), "array"))
    1     2     3     4     5
 TRUE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE

(Is this something we should consider changing for R 4.0.0 -- to
 have it TRUE also for 2d-arrays aka matrix objects ??)

The consequence of that is that
currently, "often"   foo.matrix is just a copy of foo.array  in
the case the latter exists:
"base" examples: foo in {unique, duplicated, anyDuplicated}.

So I propose you change current  head.matrix and tail.matrix  to
head.array and tail.array
(and then have   head.matrix <- head.array  etc, at least if the
 above quirk must remain, or remains (which I currently guess to
 be the case)).

    >> x = array(100, c(4, 5, 5))

    >> dim(x)

    > [1] 4 5 5

    >> head(x, 1)

    > [1] 100

    >> class(head(x))

    > [1] "numeric"

    > (For a 1d array, it does return another 1d array).

    > When extending head/tail to understand multiple dimensions as discussed in
    > this thread, then, should the behavior for 2+d arrays be explicitly
    > retained, or should head and tail do the analogous thing (with a head(<2d
    array> ) behaving the same as head(<matrix>), which honestly is what I