[Rd] Cannot install dplyr

Adam Frank ph||@m@th@|og|c @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 18 01:50:36 CEST 2019

So I've tried many methods to get dyplr installed, I'll detail each of the
methods and issues below.  I'm running a new Linux machine with Pop!_OS.

*From the package manager*

I tried installing r-base from the package manager but it delivers a version
so out of date that when I try to install dyplr it throws an error.  As far
as I can tell from researching the error, the only resolution is to not
install from the package manager.

*From precompiled binaries*

I don't fully get what I'm doing but as I understand it (I am not an
especially tech-savvy person) the precompiled binaries are located here:
Binaries <https://mirrors.nics.utk.edu/cran/>    However, given that my OS
is none of those listed, I was wary of trying this.  I tried anyway,
guessing using the Ubuntu trusty one might do something, got a public key
error.

```
W: GPG error: https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/ Release:
The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
available: NO_PUBKEY 51716619E084DAB9
```

I searched the error, don't really understand what I read about how to
resolve it.  But I'm guessing it has something to do with needing to already
have a public key and I don't.  So maybe this solution isn't meant for me.

*Compiling from sources*

Trying to follow any (and all) instructions I could find on building from
source files, I downloaded from here:  R souce
<https://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-3/>  .  I unzipped, navigated in, ran
`sudo ./configure`.  After chasing a lot of errors and trying to resolve
them I eventually got it installed.  Then downloaded RStudio and tried to
install it, but it couldn't find R.  After researching the error I found a
suggestion to run `./configure` with the `--enable-R-shlib`.  Did that, now
I run `make` and get

```
[Some other stuff up above here]
/usr/bin/ld: ../unix/X11.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol
`R_GUIType' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with
-fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: nonrepresentable section on output
make[3]: *** [Makefile:177: libR.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/addem/Downloads/R-3.6.1/src/main'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:135: R] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/addem/Downloads/R-3.6.1/src/main'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:28: R] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/addem/Downloads/R-3.6.1/src'
make: *** [Makefile:61: R] Error 1
```

After searching this error I can't find a resolution.

-----

And just to be clear about what I'm trying to do here: All I want is R
running with RStudio, and is able to install the dplyr package.  If this can
be done in any way, I don't care which way it's done.

If any log files or whatever would be useful for any one of these three
installation attempts, just ask.

Thanks.