[Rd] [External] Re: should base R have a piping operator ?

Tierney, Luke |uke-t|erney @end|ng |rom u|ow@@edu
Mon Oct 7 17:04:49 CEST 2019

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019, Lionel Henry wrote:

> Hi Gabe,
>
>> There is another way the pipe could go into base R that could not be
>> done in package space and has the potential to mitigate some pretty
>> serious downsides to the pipes relating to debugging
>
> I assume you're thinking about the large stack trace of the magrittr
> pipe? You don't need a parser transformation to solve this problem
> though, the pipe could be implemented as a regular function with a
> very limited impact on the stack. And if implemented as a SPECIALSXP,
> it would be completely invisible. We've been planning to rewrite %>%
> to fix the performance and the stack print, it's just low priority.
>
> About the semantics of local evaluation that were proposed in this
> thread, I think that wouldn't be right. A native pipe should be
> consistent with other control flow constructs like `if` and `for` and
> evaluate in the current environment. In that case, the `.` binding, if
> any, would be restored to its original value in `on.exit()` (or through
> unwind-protection if implemented in C).

Sorry to be blunt but adding/removing a variable from a caller's
environment is a horrible design idea. Think about what happens if an
argument in a pipe stage contains a pipe. (Not completely
unreasonable, e.g. for a left_join). We already have such a design
lurking in (at least) one place in base code and it keeps biting. It's
pretty high on my list to be expunged.

If a variable is to be used it needs to be in its own
scope/environment.  There is another option, which is to rewrite the
pipe as a nested call and evaluate that in the parent frame. Not likely
to be much worse for debugging and might even be better.  Some
tinkering with these ideas is at

https://gitlab.com/luke-tierney/pipes

All that said, there is nothing that can be done with pipes that can't
be done without them. They may be the most visible aspect of the
tidyverse but they are also the least essential. I don't find them
useful, mostly because they make debugging harder and add to the
cognitive load of figuring out what is actually going on in the
evaluation process. So I don't use them in my work or my teaching (I
do mention them in teaching so students can understand them when they
see them). Many people clearly like them, and that's fine. But they
are not in any way, shape, or form essential.

I can't speak for all of R core on this, but this is how I look at the
question of inclusion in base: R core developer time is a (very)
scarce resource. Any part of that resource that is used to incorporate
and maintain in base something that can be implemented reasonably well
in a package is then not available for improving and maintaining parts
of R that have to be in base. There would need to be extremely strong
reasons for reallocating resources in this way and I just don't see
how that case can be made here.

It is certainly possible that thinking about pipes might suggest tome
useful low level primitives to add that would have to live in base and
might be useful in other contexts. Those might be worth considering.
[Some kind of 'exec()' or aving an 'exec()' or 'tailcall()' primitive
to reuse a call frame for example.]

Best,

luke