[Rd] should base R have a piping operator ?

Iñaki Ucar |uc@r @end|ng |rom |edor@project@org
Sun Oct 6 11:33:57 CEST 2019

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 10:30, Joris Meys <jorismeys using gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm largely with Gabriel Becker on this one: if pipes enter base R, they
> should be a well thought out and integrated part of the language.
>
> I do see merit though in providing a pipe in base R. Reason is mainly that
> right now there's not a single pipe. A pipe function exists in different
> packages, and it's not impossible that at one point piping operators might
> behave slightly different depending on the package you load. So I hope
> someone from RStudio is reading this thread and decides to do the heavy
> lifting for R core. After all, it really is mainly their packages that
> would benefit from it.

Completely agree with Gabriel and Joris.

> I can't think of a non-tidyverse package that's
> easier to use with pipes than without.

I can give you one (disclaimer: it's one of my packages): simmer,
which is specifically designed to work with pipes, and has nothing to
do with the tidyverse.

Iñaki