[Rd] should base R have a piping operator ?

Gabriel Becker g@bembecker @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Oct 6 01:50:10 CEST 2019

Hi all,

I think there's some nuance here that makes makes me agree partially with
each "side".

The pipe is inarguably extremely popular. Many probably think of it as a
core feature of R, along with the tidyverse that (as was pointed out)
largely surrounds it and drives its popularity. Whether its a good or bad
thing that they think that doesn't change the fact that by my estimation
that Ant is correct that they do. BUT, I don't agree with him that that, by
itself, is a reason to put it in base R in the form that it exists now. For
the current form, there aren't really any major downsides that I see to
having people just use the package version.

Sure it may be a little weird, but it doesn't ever really stop the
people from using it or present a significant barrier. Another major point
is that many (most?) base R functions are not necessarily tooled to be
endomorphic, which in my personal opinion is *largely* the only place that
the pipes are really compelling.

That was for pipes as the exist in package space, though. There is another
way the pipe could go into base R that could not be done in package space
and has the potential to mitigate some pretty serious downsides to the
pipes relating to debugging, which would be to implement them in the parser.

If

iris %>% group_by(Species) %>% summarize(mean_sl = mean(Sepal.Length)) %>%
filter(mean_sl > 5)

were *parsed* as, for example, into

local({
            . = group_by(iris, Species)

            ._tmp2 = summarize(., mean_sl = mean(Sepal.Length))

            filter(., mean_sl > 5)
       })

Then debuggiing (once you knew that) would be much easier but behavaior
would be the same as it is now. There could even be some sort of
step-through-pipe debugger at that point added as well for additional
convenience.

There is some minor precedent for that type of transformative parsing:

> expr = parse(text = "5 -> x")

> expr

expression(5 -> x)

> expr[[1]]

x <- 5

Though thats a much more minor transformation.

All of that said, I believe Jim Hester (cc'ed) suggested something along
these lines at the RSummit a couple of years ago, and thus far R-core has
not shown much appetite for changing things in the parser.

Without that changing, I'd have to say that my vote, for whatever its
worth, comes down on the side of pipes being fine in packages. A summary of
my reasoning being that it only makes sense for them to go into R itself if
doing so fixes an issue that cna't be fixed with them in package space.

Best,
~G