[Rd] class(<matrix>) |--> c("matrix", "arrary") [was "head.matrix ..."]

Mon Nov 11 10:40:11 CET 2019

    >>> [.................]

    >>> [................]

    >>> I've made up my mind (and not been contradicted by my fellow R
    >>> corers) to try go there for  R 4.0.0   next April.
    >>>
    >>> I've found the few places in base R that needed a change (to
    >>> pass 'make check-all' in the R sources) and found that indeed a
    >>> overzealous check in 'Matrix' needed also a change (a place
    >>> where the checking code assume  class(<matrix>) |--> "matrix" ).
    >>>
    >>> There are certainly many more package (codes and checks) that
    >>> need adaption .. i.e., should be changed rather *before* the
    >>> above change is activated in R-devel (and then will affect all CRAN
    >>> and Bioconductor checks.)
    >>>
    >>> To this end, I've published an  'R Blog' yesterday,
    >>>
    >>> http://bit.ly/R_blog_class_think_2x
    >>>
    >>> which translates to
    >>>
    >>> https://developer.r-project.org/Blog/public/2019/11/09/when-you-think-class.-think-again/index.html
    >>>
    >>> notably mentioning why using  class(x) == "...."  (or '!=')  or
    >>> switch(class(.) ...)  is quite unsafe and hence bad and you
    >>> should very often not replace  class(x)  by  class(x)[1]  but
    >>> really use the "only truly correct" ;-)
    >>>
    >>> inherits(x,  "...")
    >>> or
    >>> is(x,  "....")   # if you're advanced/brave enough (:-) to
    >>> # use formal classes (S4)
    >>
    >> Thanks for the helpful blog post Martin. Is the following
    >>
    >> “test_class”  %in% class(some_object)
    >>
    >> which I think in your symbols would be
    >>
    >> “…” %in% class(x)
    >>
    >> safe as far as you see it? By safe, I mean equivalent to your suggestion of inherits(x, “…”) .

    > Those aren't equivalent if S4 gets involved.  You can see it if you run
    > this code:

    > example("new") # Creates an object named t2 of class "trackcurve"
    >                # that contains "track"

    > inherits(t2, "track")  # TRUE
    > "track" %in% class(t2) # FALSE

    > I can't think of any examples not involving S4.

    > Duncan Murdoch

Thank you, Duncan.
That's definitely a strong reason for inherits(), because often
in such code, you don't know in advance what objects will be
passed to your function.

On Twitter, others have asked "the same",  arguing that

	"<someclass>"  %in%  class(.)

> uses usual syntax, and thus looks less intimidating than
> inherit() and less cryptic than is()

I think you should all use -- and *teach* --
inherits(.) more often, and it would no longer be intimidating.

Also, for the speed fetishists:  inherits() will typically be
slightly (but significantly) faster than  ` %in% class(.) `

Martin