[Rd] Why is R in Japanese (only in Mac terminal)?

Michael Chirico m|ch@e|ch|r|co4 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed May 29 10:17:18 CEST 2019

Since a while ago, R on my Mac terminal is being started in Japanese:

R version 3.5.2 (2018-12-20) -- "Eggshell Igloo"

Copyright (C) 2018 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing

Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)

R は、自由なソフトウェアであり、「完全に無保証」です。

一定の条件に従えば、自由にこれを再配布することができます。

配布条件の詳細に関しては、'license()' あるいは 'licence()' と入力してください。

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

'demo()' と入力すればデモをみることができます。

'help()' とすればオンラインヘルプが出ます。

'help.start()' で HTML ブラウザによるヘルプがみられます。

'q()' と入力すれば R を終了します。

I never gave it too much mind since I understand Japanese and am mostly
working in RStudio anyway (RStudio is in English). But I found a "bug" in
testthat's is_english (which tests whether the current session is reporting
base messages in English) and reported here:

https://github.com/r-lib/testthat/issues/879

I say "bug" because as near as I can tell is_english is built assuming the
logic laid out in ?gettext, ?locales. So even though my machine appears to
have none of the "symptoms" of a non-English locale, nevertheless I get
Japanese. My session info:

R version 3.5.2 (2018-12-20)

Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)

Running under: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Matrix products: default

BLAS:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib

LAPACK:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:

[1] C/UTF-8/C/C/C/C

attached base packages:

[1] compiler_3.5.2

My Sys.getenv() and "Languages & Region" settings are in the issue link.

Where else should I be looking in my R session or terminal to figure out
why it's in Japanese?

Mike C