[Rd] [External] ALTREP: Bug reports

Tierney, Luke |uke-t|erney @end|ng |rom u|ow@@edu
Thu May 16 21:46:29 CEST 2019

On Thu, 16 May 2019, 介非王 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have encountered two bugs when using ALTREP APIs.
>
> 1. STDVEC_DATAPTR
>
> From RInternal.h file it has a comment:
>
> /* ALTREP support */
>> void *(STDVEC_DATAPTR)(SEXP x);
>

> However, this comment might not be true, the easiest way to verify it is to
> define a C++ function:
>
> void C_testFunc(SEXP a)
>> {
>> STDVEC_DATAPTR(a);
>> }
>

> and call it in R via
>
>> a=1:10
>>> C_testFunc(a)
>> Error in C_testFunc(a) : cannot get STDVEC_DATAPTR from ALTREP object
>

> We can inspect the internal type and call ALTREP function to check if it
> is an ALTREP:
>
>> .Internal(inspect(a))
>> @0x000000001b5a3310 13 INTSXP g0c0 [NAM(7)]  1 : 10 (compact)
>>> #This is a wrapper of ALTREP
>>> is.altrep(a)
>> [1] TRUE
>

> I've also defined an ALTREP type and it did not work either. I guess this
> might be a bug? Or did I miss something?

STDVEC_DATAPTR returns the data pointer of a standard (non-ALTREP)
vector.  It should not be necessary to use it in package code; if you
callit on an ALTREP you are likely to get a segfault.

> 2. Wrapper objects in ALTREP
>
> If the duplicate function is defined to return the object itself:

Don't do that. Mutable objects don't work. Look at the vignette in
https://github.com/ALTREP-examples/Rpkg-mutable for more on this.

Best,

luke