[Rd] Porting R example datasets to GNU Octave

Mon May 6 13:47:34 CEST 2019

On 5 May 2019 at 10:47, Andrew Janke wrote:
| I'm interested in porting the R example datasets package to GNU Octave
| and Matlab. Would you have objections to my doing so?

You don't even have to ask...

[...]

| Since R's datasets package is GPL, I think I'd be within my rights to
| just do this. But I wanted to ask first, to make sure I didn't ruffle
| any feathers. I would include documentation indicating that R is the
| original source (well, intermediate source) for these datasets, and have
| links pointing back to R's documentation.

That is the right way to do that. Respect both copyright (citing and
referencing source) and licensing (by picking a license compatible with GPL 2
or later; many of us just prefer to stick to GPL which Octave uses too).

Dirk, in no way speaking for R Core but just handing out his $0.02