[Rd] Use of C++ in Packages

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 29 22:01:44 CET 2019

I think it's also worth saying that some of these issues affect C code
as well; e.g. this is not safe:

    FILE* f = fopen(...);
    Rf_eval(...);
    fclose(f);

whereas the C++ equivalent would likely handle closing of the file in
the destructor. In other words, I think many users just may not be
cognizant of the fact that most R APIs can longjmp, and what that
implies for cleanup of allocated resources. R_alloc() may help solve
the issue specifically for memory allocations, but for any library
interface that has a 'open' and 'close' step, the same sort of issue
will arise.

What I believe we should do, and what Rcpp has made steps towards, is
make it possible to interact with some subset of the R API safely from
C++ contexts. This has always been possible with e.g. R_ToplevelExec()
and R_ExecWithCleanup(), and now things are even better with
R_UnwindProtect(). In theory, as a prototype, an R package could
provide a 'safe' C++ interface to the R API using R_UnwindProtect()
and friends as appropriate, and client packages could import and link
to that package to gain access to the interface. Code generators (as
Rcpp Attributes does) can handle some of the pain in these interfaces,
so that users are mostly insulated from the nitty gritty details.

I agree that the content of Tomas's post is very helpful, especially
since I expect many R programmers who dip their toes into the C++
world are not aware of the caveats of talking to R from C++. However,
I don't think it's helpful to recommend "don't use C++"; rather, I
believe the question should be, "what can we do to make it possible to
easily and safely interact with R from C++?". Because, as I understand
it, all of the problems raised are solvable: either through a
well-defined C++ interface, or through better education.

I'll add my own opinion: writing correct C code is an incredibly
difficult task. C++, while obviously not perfect, makes things
substantially easier with tools like RAII, the STL, smart pointers,
and so on. And I strongly believe that C++ (with Rcpp) is still a
better choice than C for new users who want to interface with R from
compiled code.

tl;dr: I (and I think most others) just wish the summary had a more
positive outlook for the future of C++ with R.

Best,
Kevin