[Rd] default for 'signif.stars'

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therne@u @end|ng |rom m@yo@edu
Thu Mar 28 14:27:53 CET 2019

The addition of significant stars was, in my opinion, one of the worst defaults ever added
to R.   I would be delighted to see it removed, or at least change the default.  It is one
of the few overrides that I have argued to add to our site-wide defaults file.

My bias comes from 30+ years in a medical statistics career where fighting the disease of
"dichotomania" has been an eternal struggle.  Continuous covariates are split in two,
nuanced risk scores are thresholded, decisions become yes/no, ....    Adding stars to
output is, to me, simply a gateway drug to this pernicous addiction.   We shouldn't
encourage it.

Wrt Abe's rant about the Nature article:  I've read the article and found it to be well
reasoned, and I can't say the same about the rant.   The issue in biomedical science is
that the p-value has fallen victim to Goodhart's law: "When a measure becomes a target, it
ceases to be a good measure."  The article argues, and I would agree, that the .05 yes/no
decision rule is currently doing more harm than good in biomedical research.   What to do
instead of this is a tough question, but it is fairly clear that the current plan isn't
working.   I have seen many cases of two papers which both found a risk increase of 1.9
for something where one paper claimed "smoking gun" and the other "completely
exonerated".   Do YOU want to take a drug with 2x risk and a p= 0.2 'proof' that it is
okay?   Of course, if there is too much to do and too little time, people will find a way
to create a shortcut yes/no rule no matter what we preach.   (We statisticians will do it
too.)

Terry T.