[Rd] [r-devel] integrate over an infinite region produces wrong results depending on scaling

Tue Jun 4 20:41:19 CEST 2019

Hello,

A solution is to use package cubature, both unscaled and scaled versions
return the correct result, 3.575294.
But the performance penalty is BIG. This is because the number of
evaluations is much bigger.

library(cubature)

cubintegrate(f, -Inf, 0, method = "hcubature")
#$integral
#[1] 3.575294
#
#$error
#[1] 1.494242e-07
#
#$neval
#[1] 375
#
#$returnCode
#[1] 0

cubintegrate(f, -Inf, 0, method = "hcubature", numstab = sc)
#$integral
#[1] 3.575294
#
#$error
#[1] 1.064195e-05
#
#$neval
#[1] 255
#
#$returnCode
#[1] 0

library(microbenchmark)

microbenchmark(
  base1 = integrate(f, -Inf, 0),
  base2 = integrate(f, -Inf, 0, numstab = sc),
  cuba1 = cubintegrate(f, -Inf, 0, method = "hcubature"),
  cuba2 = cubintegrate(f, -Inf, 0, method = "hcubature", numstab = sc)
)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas