[Rd] survival changes

Paul Gilbert pg||bert902 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jun 2 16:10:24 CEST 2019

Terry

Let me call this things to think about, rather than advice. I went
through a similar process twice, once about 30 years ago and once about
20 years ago. I had fewer dependent packages of course, but still enough
to cause headaches. I don't recommend doing it often.

- I think you need to consider where you would like to end up before
deciding how to get there. If you end up having to maintain a lot of
legacy stuff I don't think you will be very happy. So then the problem
becomes how to help people get off the part you want to abandon, rather
then how to help them stay on it.

- I know you are very experienced, but I will be really impressed if you
get the new approach perfect on the first shot. That argues for having a
new package with hardly any users so you can fiddle with the API more
easily, and not deprecating the old one until you are really happy with
the new one.

- There may be a part which is common to both old and new and/or there
may be a part which is what most dependent packages use. If you can
separate that out as something like survivalBase it would make your life
easier. That will be especial true if that part is more stable, so don't
put in anything you are experimenting with.

Good luck,
Paul Gilbert