[Rd] Bug Report: read.table with UTF-8 encoded file imports infinity symbol as Integer 8

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 8 13:07:11 CET 2019

I can reproduce this behavior on my Windows 10 system in RGui (cp1252):
when I paste the Unicode infinity symbol into the console, it is treated
as number 8. This is caused by Windows "best fit" default behavior in
conversion of unicode characters to characters in the current native
encoding: at some point in the past, 8 has been chosen as a good fit for
infinity in Windows. In my scenario, the conversion is invoked by RGui
before returning the input to the main R loop, even before the input
gets to the parser. In principle, we could change this particular
conversion in RGui to avoid the substitution. RGui uses "\uxxxx" escapes
to pass characters that cannot be represented, this is why e.g. the
Cyrillic Zhe \u0436 worked, so we could tell Windows not to do the
substitution and pass "\u221e" for Infinity, and then the string after
being processed by the parser will be represented in UTF-8 inside R and
could be e.g. printed by the RGui console. That is something that could
be considered, but it will not solve the main problem and it may
actually cause trouble to users who are used to such substitutions
(especially when the substitutions are more intuitive, but, that may be
a matter of opinion).

The main problem is that in normal use, sooner or later R will get to
the point when it will need to do the conversion to native encoding, and
in some context where "\uxxxx" escapes will not be possible. One cannot
reliably work with strings in R that cannot be represented in the
current native encoding (except when one knows precisely how to avoid
the conversion in some specific task, but that may be brittle; so the
best-fit substitution might in principle help here). This problem does
not exist on Unix/macOS systems where the current native encoding is
UTF-8 these days, so today it only exists on Windows where UTF-8 cannot
be the current native encoding. As has been discussed before, even
though we could rewrite in principle all calls to Windows API to use
Unicode and have all strings in UTF-8 in R, we would still have problems
when interfacing with packages that assume strings are in current native
encoding (without checking), so this problem won't be easy to fix.

Best,
Tomas