[Rd] Documenting else's greed

Georgi Boshnakov georg|@bo@hn@kov @end|ng |rom m@nche@ter@@c@uk
Sun Aug 18 17:34:22 CEST 2019

Indeed, an example in the documentation about this feature would be helpful, may be the one Hugh used. If an explanation is deemed appropriate, I would suggest including something along the lines of the following
(after the second paragraph of the Details section for if/while/etc.).

===============

In these constructs the opening braces, if any, are part of the expression to be evaluated, not syntax delimiters.
In particular, the expression does not necessarily end with the closing brace. For example, '{2} + 3' and '2 + 3' are equivalent expressions, so the first command below gives 0, not 3.

> if(TRUE) 0 else {2} + 3
[1] 0
> if(TRUE) 0 else 2 + 3
[1] 0

In practice, this confusion appears mainly in the 'else' part of 'if' constructs. But it is not limited there. For example, this defines a function with body x^2 + 1, for the same reasons, although one might expect an error.

> f <- function(x){x^2} + 1
> f(2)
[1] 5
> as.character(body(f))