[Rd] Background R session on Unix and SIGINT

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 30 23:09:51 CEST 2019

OK, I managed to create an example without callr, but it is still
somewhat cumbersome. Anyway, here it is.

Terminal 1:
mkfifo fif
R --no-readline --slave --no-save --no-restore < fif

Terminal 2:
cat > fif
Sys.getpid()

This will make Terminal 1 print the pid of the R process, so we can
send a SIGINT:

Terminal 3:
kill -INT pid

The R process is of course still running happily.

Terminal 2 again:
tryCatch(Sys.sleep(10), interrupt = function(e) e)

and then Terminal 1 prints the interrupt condition:
<interrupt: >

This is macOS and 3.5.3, although I don't think it matters much.

Thanks much!
G.