[Rd] configure script issue with -flto with recent gcc and system ar/ranlib

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 25 17:42:08 CEST 2019

On 4/23/19 2:59 PM, Thomas König wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there can be an issue with recent gcc where the system-installed "ar"
> and "ranlib" commands cannot handle LTO binaries.  On compilation, this
> manifests itself with error messages claiming that they need extra
> plugins.
>
> This can be fixed by using the command line
>
> $ AR=gcc-ar RANLIB=gcc-ranlib ./configure --enable-lto
>
> so it is not a big issue, but it would still be nicer if the configure
> script tested the functionality of ar and ranlib itself and would
> select the appropriate one accordingly.
>
> This is with R version 3.5.3.

Thanks for the report. What was the version of binutils on the system
with this problem? On my Ubuntu 18.04 I can use the binutils version of
"ar" and "ranlib" with --enable-lto without problems.  I read that with
recent binutils (2.25?), the LTO plugin should be loaded automatically,
so one does not have to use the wrappers anymore.

Thanks
Tomas