[Rd] SUGGESTION: Settings to disable forked processing in R, e.g. parallel::mclapply()

Kevin Ushey kev|nu@hey @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Apr 13 03:50:58 CEST 2019

I think it's worth saying that mclapply() works as documented: it
relies on forking, and so doesn't work well in environments where it's
unsafe to fork. This is spelled out explicitly in the documentation of
?mclapply:

It is strongly discouraged to use these functions in GUI or embedded
environments, because it leads to several processes sharing the same
GUI which will likely cause chaos (and possibly crashes). Child
processes should never use on-screen graphics devices.

I believe the expectation is that users who need more control over the
kind of cluster that's used for parallel computations would instead
create the cluster themselves with e.g. `makeCluster()` and then use
`clusterApply()` / `parLapply()` or other APIs as appropriate.

In environments where forking works, `mclapply()` is nice because you
don't need to think -- the process is forked, and anything available
in your main session is automatically available in the child
processes. This is a nice convenience for when you know it's safe to
fork R (and know what you're doing is safe to do within a forked
process). When it's not safe, it's better to prefer the other APIs
available for computation on a cluster.

Forking can be unsafe and dangerous, but it's also convenient and
sometimes that convenience can outweigh the other concerns.

Finally, I want to add: the onus should be on the front-end to work
well with R, and not the other way around. I don't think it's fair to
impose extra work / an extra maintenance burden on the R Core team for
something that's already clearly documented ...

Best,
Kevin