[Rd] R 3.5.3 and 3.6.0 alpha Windows bug: UTF-8 characters in code are simplified to wrong ones

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 11 08:10:53 CEST 2019

On 4/10/19 6:13 PM, Tomáš Bořil wrote:

> An optional parameter to source() function which would translate all
> UTF-8 characters in string literals to their "\Uxxxx" codes sounds as
> a great idea (and I hope it would fix 99.9% of problems I have -
> because that is the way I overcome these problems nowadays) - and the
> same behaviour in command line...

I was not suggesting to convert to \Uxxxx in source(). Some users do it
in their programs by hand or an external utility. Source() in principle
could be made work similarly to eval(parse(file,encoding=)) with respect
to encodings, via other means, we will consider that but there are many
remaining places where the conversion happens - a trivial one is that
currently you cannot print the result of the parse() from your example
properly. Maybe you don't trigger such problems in your scripts in
obvious ways, but as I said before, if you want to work reliably with
characters not representable in current native encoding, in current or
near version of R, use Linux or macOS.

Tomas