[Rd] R 3.5.3 and 3.6.0 alpha Windows bug: UTF-8 characters in code are simplified to wrong ones

Wed Apr 10 17:45:27 CEST 2019

On 10/04/2019 10:29 a.m., Yihui Xie wrote:
> Since it is "technically easy" to disable the best fit conversion and
> the best fit is rarely good, how about providing an option for
> code/package authors to disable it? I'm asking because this is one of
> the most painful issues in packages that may need to source() code
> containing UTF-8 characters that are not representable in the Windows
> native encoding. Examples include knitr/rmarkdown and shiny. Basically
> users won't be able to knit documents or run Shiny apps correctly when
> the code contains characters that cannot be represented in the native
> encoding.

Wouldn't things be worse with it disabled than currently?  I'd expect
the line containing the "ř" to end up as NA instead of converting to "r".

Of course, it would be best to be able to declare source files as UTF-8
and avoid any conversion at all, but as Tomas said, that's a lot harder.

Duncan Murdoch