[Rd] Bias in R's random integers?

Philip B. Stark @t@rk @ending from @t@t@berkeley@edu
Wed Sep 19 18:23:07 CEST 2018

No, the 2nd call only happens when m > 2**31. Here's the code:

(RNG.c, lines 793ff)

double R_unif_index(double dn)
{
    double cut = INT_MAX;

    switch(RNG_kind) {
    case KNUTH_TAOCP:
    case USER_UNIF:
    case KNUTH_TAOCP2:
cut = 33554431.0; /* 2^25 - 1 */
  break;
    default:
  break;
   }

    double u = dn > cut ? ru() : unif_rand();
    return floor(dn * u);
}