[Rd] config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

Martin Maechler m@echler @ending from @t@t@m@th@ethz@ch
Thu Sep 6 09:29:43 CEST 2018

    > Hi,
    > Does anyone else see the following or is it just me?  It usually works
    > fine. I checked latest R-devel commits and couldn't see anything very
    > recently changed or fixed w.r.t. po/ or Makefile.

    > wget https://stat.ethz.ch/R/daily/R-devel.tar.gz
    > tar xvf R-devel.tar.gz
    > cd R-devel
    > ./configure --without-recommended-packages
    > config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in'

Hmm, I can easily reproduce also with last night's tar ball.

The tar ball is missing 90% of the source files.
If you use replace
     R-devel.tar.gz
by   R-devel_2018-09-03.tar.gz

it works... but of course you want the daily latest version, and
I'll have a look on what causes the problem, and will fix it.

Best,
Martin