[Rd] True length - length(unclass(x)) - without having to call unclass()?

Dénes Tóth toth@dene@ @ending from kogentum@hu
Mon Sep 3 15:59:39 CEST 2018

Hi Tomas,

On 09/03/2018 11:49 AM, Tomas Kalibera wrote:
> Please don't do this to get the underlying vector length (or to achieve
> anything else). Setting/deleting attributes of an R object without
> checking the reference count violates R semantics, which in turn can
> have unpredictable results on R programs (essentially undebuggable
> segfaults now or more likely later when new optimizations or features
> are added to the language). Setting attributes on objects with reference
> count (currently NAMED value) greater than 0 (in some special cases 1 is
> ok) is cheating - please see Writing R Extensions - and getting speedups
> via cheating leads to fragile, unmaintainable and buggy code.

Please note that data.table::setattr is an exported function of a widely
used package (available from CRAN), which also has a description in
?data.table::setattr why it might be useful.

Of course one has to use set* functions from data.table with extreme
care, but if one does it in the right way, they can help a lot. For
example there is no real danger of using them in internal functions
where one can control what is get passed to the function or created
within the function (so when one knows that the refcount==0 condition is
true).

(Notwithstanding the above, but also supporting you argumentation, it
took me hours to debug a particular problem in one of my internal
packages, see https://github.com/Rdatatable/data.table/issues/1281)

In the present case, an important and unanswered question is (cited from
Henrik):
 >>> However, I'm concerned that calling unclass(x) may trigger an
 >>> expensive copy internally in some cases.  Is that concern unfounded?

If no copy is made, length(unclass(x)) beats length(setattr(..)) in all
scenarios.

> Doing so
> in packages is particularly unhelpful to the whole community - packages
> should only use the public API as documented.
>
> Similarly, getting a physical address of an object to hack around
> whether R has copied it or not should certainly not be done in packages
> and R code should never be working with or even obtaining physical
> address of an object. This is also why one cannot obtain such address
> using base R (apart in textual form from certain diagnostic messages
> where it can indeed be useful for low-level debugging).

Getting the physical address of the object was done exclusively for
demonstration purposes. I totally agree that is should not be used for
the purpose you described and I have never ever done so.

Regards,
Denes