[Rd] v3 serialization of compact_intseq altrep should write modified data

Tierney, Luke luke-tierney @ending from uiow@@edu
Mon Oct 22 23:48:59 CEST 2018

Try this C code:

SEXP set_intseq_data(SEXP x)
{
     if (MAYBE_SHARED(x))
 	error("Oops, not supposed to do this!");
     void* ptr = DATAPTR(x);
     ((int*)ptr)[3] = 1234;
     return R_NilValue;
}

Lots of things will break if you modify objects that have been marked
as immutable (and hence where MAYBE_SHARED returns TRUE).

For now the implementation of compact sequences marks them as
immutable and so assumes the expanded version will not be changed.
That implementation detail might be changed at some point but C code
should not make assumptions.

Best,

luke