[Rd] unable to load shared object

Witold E Wolski wewol@ki @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Oct 5 10:01:34 CEST 2018

Thanks for asking.

The path where R tries to load the dll from does not exist I think (or
the install process deletes it after the error - might this be the
case?):
C:/Users/wewol/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/3.5/grpc/libs/x64/grpc.dll'

When I am checking after the error that path is only valid up to:
C:/Users/wewol/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/3.5/

So maybe (?) the install process wrongly assums that the package is
installed (but it never was) and than it executes
** testing if installed package can be loaded

To run into the error.

Error: package or namespace load failed for 'grpc' in inDL(x,
as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...):
 unable to load shared object
'C:/Users/wewol/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/3.5/grpc/libs/x64/grpc.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 at 09:37, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 using gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings.
> Is it possible that Onedrive is causing trouble? Do other packages you build and install work well from that directory?
>
> Paul Johnson
> University of Kansas
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018, 3:13 AM Witold E Wolski <wewolski using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to install a package with some src files on windows (linux
>> install works fine). The sources seem to build, there is an *.dll in
>> the src folder but than the installation process fails with:
>>
>> ```
>> ** testing if installed package can be loaded
>> Error: package or namespace load failed for 'grpc' in inDL(x,
>> as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...):
>>  unable to load shared object
>> 'C:/Users/wewol/OneDrive/Documents/R/win-library/3.5/grpc/libs/x64/grpc.dll':
>>   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>>
>> Error: loading failed
>> Execution halted
>> ```
>>
>> Do I need to point the installer to the *.dll in the src directory by
>> creating some special function (e.g. dyn.load) or creating some
>> special file?
>>
>> Help would be greatly appreciated:
>>
>> The packages sources are here:
>> https://github.com/wolski/grpc-1