[Rd] Unexpected argument-matching when some are missing

Ista Zahn i@t@z@hn @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Nov 29 14:59:07 CET 2018

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 5:09 AM Emil Bode <emil.bode using dans.knaw.nl> wrote:

> When trying out some variations with `[.data.frame` I noticed some (to me) odd behaviour, which I found out has nothing to do with `[.data.frame`, but rather with the way arguments are matched, when mixing named/unnamed and missing/non-missing arguments. Consider the following example:
>

> myfun <- function(x,y,z) {
>
>   print(match.call())
>
>   cat('x=',if(missing(x)) 'missing' else x, '\n')
>
>   cat('y=',if(missing(y)) 'missing' else y, '\n')
>
>   cat('z=',if(missing(z)) 'missing' else z, '\n')
>
> }
>
> myfun(x=, y=, "z's value")
>

> gives:
>

> # myfun(x = "z's value")
>
> # x= z's value
>
> # y= missing
>
> # z= missing
>

> This seems very counterintuitive to me, I expect the arguments x and y to be missing, and z to get “z’s value”.

Interesting. I would expect it to throw an error, since "x=" is not
syntactically complete. What does "x=" mean anyway? It looks like R
interprets it as "x was not set to anything, i.e., is missing". That
seems reasonable, though I think the example itself is pathological
and would prefer that it produced an error.

--Ista