[Rd] [tryExcept] New try Function

Ernest Benedito ebenedito@ @ending from gm@il@com
Fri Nov 23 15:47:19 CET 2018

Hi Emil,

First, thanks for the response. As you mentioned, a lot of times tryCatch
does the work, as you can return a value. However, sometimes it is useful
to assign several variables when an error occurs. You could do it with <<-,
but I prefer to reduce it's usage unless completely necessary.

I guess that the attachment was missed in the moderation. Here it is the
function:

tryExcept <- function (expr,
                       except = {})
{
  doTryExcept <- function(expr, parentenv) {
    .Internal(.addCondHands("error", list(NULL), parentenv,
                            environment(), FALSE))
    expr
  }
  parentenv <- parent.frame()
  doTryExcept(return(expr), parentenv)
  invisible(except)
}

As you can see, the tryExcept function uses a simplified version of the
tryCatch architecture, but it allows you to pass by a second expression
that is evaluated in case an error occurs during the evaluation of the
first expression. It could even work as an infix operator:

`%except%` <- tryExcept

# dummy example
{foo <- "foo"} %except% {foo <- "foo bar"}
print(foo) # "foo"

{ foo <- "foo"
  stop()
} %except% {
  foo <- "foo bar"
}
print(foo) # "foo bar"

It's main downside is that you are not able to handle the error occured,
although there is the possibility to add a 'silent' parameter such as in
'try' in order to print the error if desired. All in all, this would be a
function for simple error handling, but I think it would be practical, and
you can always move to tryCatch if you need a more complex error handling.

I will be looking forward to hearing your insights.

Best,
Ernest Benedito

Missatge de Emil Bode <emil.bode using dans.knaw.nl> del dia dv., 23 de nov. 2018
a les 13:17: