[Rd] Better cleanup of example session during check

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Nov 12 14:32:49 CET 2018

On 12/11/2018 8:09 AM, Thomas Lin Pedersen wrote:
> I have a couple of packages (‘fiery’ and ‘reqres') that uses a mock of a rook request for their examples. The mock is an R6 object containing a rawConnection, along with a finalizer that closes this connection when the object is removed. So far so good. I’ve recently been getting CRAN errors due to the rawConnection not being closed in examples
>
>> cleanEx()
> Error: connections left open:
> 	content (rawConnection)
>
> and the only way to remove this is by removing the objects and calling gc() as part of the example code. While it is possible to hide all that inside a \dontshow{} block, it appears to me that it would be better if cleanEx() did a cleaning of the environment along with a single gc call prior to performing any checks on the end state. Is this something you would consider?

Wouldn't it be possible for you to add a way to explicitly request the
connection be closed?  Then the finalizer would only need to close it if
you forgot.

> best
> Thomas Lin Pedersen
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

This message was fine, but sometimes posting in HTML makes your message
unreadable.  This list wants plain text.

Duncan Murdoch