[Rd] Apparent bug in behavior of formulas with '-' operator for lm

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:22:45 CET 2018

Technically it is used as a predictor in the model. The information is
contained in terms :

> terms(x ~ . - z, data = d)
x ~ (y + z) - z
attr(,"variables")
list(x, y, z)
attr(,"factors")
x 0
y 1
z 0
attr(,"term.labels")
[1] "y"
attr(,"order")
[1] 1
attr(,"intercept")
[1] 1
attr(,"response")
[1] 1
attr(,".Environment")

And the model.frame contains it :

> head(model.frame(x ~ . - z, data = d))
            x          y z
2 -0.06022984 -0.4483109 b
3  1.25293390  0.2687065 c
4 -1.11811090  0.8016076 d
5 -0.75521720 -0.7484931 e
6  0.93037156  0.4128456 f
7  1.32052028 -1.6609043 a

It is at the construction of the model.matrix that z disappears, but the
contrasts information for z is still attached :

> attr(model.matrix(x ~ . - z, data = d),"contrasts")
$z
[1] "contr.treatment"

As you can see from the error you printed, it is model.frame() complaining
about it. In this case it wouldn't be necessary, but it is documented
behaviour of model.frame. Which is why I didn't say "this is not a bug",
but "this is not a bug per se". Meaning that this is not optimal behaviour
and might not what you expect, but it follows the documentation of the
underlying functions.

Solving it would require a bypass of model.frame() to construct the correct
model,matrix for the new predictions, and that's far from trivial as
model.matrix() itself depends on model.frame().

Cheers
Joris