[Rd] Automatic Compression by Save Causes Check Warning

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@liber@ @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Jun 20 12:54:40 CEST 2018

Dear Dario,

this question may be more suitable for R-pkg-devel or perhaps R-help
list, if you have subsequent questions, you might get better advice
there. In short, save() does no automated selection of a compression
algorithm - it just uses the one specified, by default "gzip". For
automated selection, please use resaveRdaFiles(). You can also use
"--resave-data" when building your package (see "Building package
tarballs" in R-exts) for this to be done automatically for all your data
files. Finally, "R CMD check --as-cran" will report when it can find a
significantly better compression (note that CRAN policies ask for
--as-cran check being run locally before submitting a package, anyway).

The CRAN repository policy mentions that packages should be of minimum
necessary size and the checks are in line with that (and there are
already heuristics in place to avoid the warning if possible gains are
small). I don't think in principle things could be made any simpler than
they are now: "R CMD check --as-cran" will report a possible improvement
by resave, "R CMD build --resave-data" will do the resave. Note that the
detection of the best compression algorithm cannot be done without
actually compressing the data using different algorithms, which is what
resaveRdaFiles() does -- doing this in save() by default is not possible
due to the performance overhead.

Best
Tomas