[Rd] Byte-compilation failure on different architectures / low-memory systems

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Tue Jun 5 20:59:33 CEST 2018

On 4 June 2018 at 20:06, Tomas Kalibera wrote:
| thanks for the report. Access to the test system is not necessary, the
| memory requirements of the byte-code compiler are usually
| platform-independent and specifically with this package I can reproduce
| they are very high. We'll have a look what we can do, certainly there
| should at least be a way to recover and use the uncompiled version when
| memory allocation fails, this is already done by the JIT but not when
| compiling during installation. Before R or the package is patched, the
| only workaround for memory constrained systems is probably to disable
| byte-compilation of this package, as I read you are doing already.

Yes. And as a shortcut, we just turned it off unconditionally, ie on all
build architectures.  Worked fine as per

   https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=fbasics

it has been built everywhere where we have R 3.5.0 (some 20 or so platforms).

The fix you suggest sounds ideal: if possible recover, and maybe WARN.

Dirk