[Rd] Byte-compilation failure on different architectures / low-memory systems

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd @ending from debi@n@org
Mon Jun 4 17:14:14 CEST 2018

As you may know, I look after the R package for Debian. My fellow Debianers
make me follow a specific protocol -- a so-called "transition" in which all
dependent packages on an identified potential breakge are rebuilt under the
new (potentially breaking) change. We started adding an r-api-3.4 tag last
(major) release. Now it is r-api-3.5 and the transition got started with the
green light from the release team last Friday.

Now one build failure occurred for one of the (old, effectively litte
maintained) RMetrics packages: fBasics. It blows up at the byte-compilation
step on at least four (older, smaller) architectures: mips, mipsel, arm64
(ubuntu), ppc64el.  More at https://bugs.debian.org/900756 where we also
worked out the "solution" of suppressing byte-compilation at installation.

Luke, Tomas, ...: Would it help you to get access to such hardware?

We may get you some sort of "guest pass" access to porter machines. Else I
could try but I have my hands plenty full with the transition (having built
[and finally transferred to our Debian Gitlab instance] 20+ package during
day two of R/Finance...).

Cheers, Dirk

PS I CC'ed the bug report, if any follow-up keep the CC it gets logged there.

PPS Happy to discuss / help off-list too, of course.