[Rd] RFC: make as.difftime more consistent or convenient

dietm@r@schi@dler m@ili@g off m@@rol@@d-web@com dietm@r@schi@dler m@ili@g off m@@rol@@d-web@com
Tue Jul 31 13:09:58 CEST 2018

Hello!

I notice I can convert strings containing hour, minute or second specifications to a 'difftime':

> as.difftime("12 h", "%H")
Time difference of 12 hours
> as.difftime("12 m", "%M")
Time difference of 12 mins
> as.difftime("12 s", "%S")
Time difference of 12 secs

But I can't do so with a week specification, because there is no appropriate format ..., although "weeks" is a legitimate unit of 'difftime':

> as.difftime("12 w", "%...")

1. What do you think about making the behavior of 'as.difftime' more consistent by accepting also formats for "days" and "weeks"?

2. Even more convenient it could be if 'as.difftime' accepted strings containing magnitude and unit; how about:

> as.difftime("12 weeks")
Time difference of 12 weeks

--
Regards,
Dietmar Schindler

Confidentiality note:
This eMail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this eMail in error, then please delete this eMail.