[Rd] apply with zero-row matrix

David Hugh-Jones d@vidhughjone@ @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jul 30 17:12:44 CEST 2018

Interesting discussion. I'm not wholly convinced by Martin's and Emil's
arguments. The behaviour seems to violate an obvious expectation (fun is
called once per row) to satisfy a subtle one (result has a guaranteed
dimension and type).

In any case, here's a suggested chunk of rd to go at the end of the "Value":

If \code{dim(X)[MARGIN]} is zero, then \code{FUN} is called once, with an
argument of the appropriate dimensions. The argument's type is the same as
\code{typeof(m)}, and the argument values are those returned by
\code{vector(typeof(m))}. For example, if m is numeric, the argument will
be a vector (or matrix or array) of zeroes. The type and length of the
value returned by \code{FUN} is used to determine the type of the result.

And at the end of "Details":

\code{FUN} is always called at least once, see below.

David