[Rd] Possible To Enable Building R With Cairo But Without X11 Dependencies?

Stephen Marsh @tephenforpre@ident @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jul 30 02:02:38 CEST 2018

Thanks for the reply, Dirk.  It sounds like xvfb-run is a great solution
when you want R to assume an X window system is present but isn’t?

I think what I'm trying to figure out, and propose for the community to
possibly fix, is slightly different than would be solved by xvfb-run.

I'm wondering if --with-cairo presents a design flaw (maybe an abstraction
inversion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction_inversion) wherein the
window system is taken for granted to be X and there is no way to change
it/use Cairo differently?

This has at least two consequences that I understand:
  - Most importantly, it makes --with-cairo silently incompatible with
--without-x.  If this is really intended, I think it should at least raise
a warning?
  - I think it also means, (as far as I know, but could well be wrong),
that there is not a way to use R where you rely solely Cairo’s rendering
abilities to replace the complexity of needing a specific window system
present? (This is my use case -- use cairo so R can be agnostic about a
window system).

Given that the earlier conversations made a fix sound rather trivial (use
cairo.h instead of cairo-xlib.h), I’m wondering if there is a path to
getting that implemented?

Thanks a lot,
-Stephen Marsh

--