[Rd] Possible bug: R --slave --interactive stdin echo on Linux when stdin is a fifo

Gábor Csárdi c@@rdi@g@bor @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Jul 26 14:54:49 CEST 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM <luke-tierney using uiowa.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:25 PM Barry Rowlingson
> > <b.rowlingson using lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> >>  Is the fifo significant here? If I read the same R code from a file
> >> via `<` I get the input echoed (R 3.4.4, Ubuntu).
> >
> > Yeah, for a file I get echo on both macOS and Linux, but not on Windows.
> >
> > I think the most useful behavior for --slave is no echo at all, maybe?
> > But I might be missing the motivation behind --slave.
> >
> > Another thing is that windows does not have --interactive. Is there a
> > way to run R
> > 1) without echoing stdin, and
>
> I'm not seeing an echo for your example on Ubuntu or Fedora.

Interesting. Do you mean the fifo example, or just a file? Or both?
I wonder what this depends on then....

Particularly interesting that this does echo on macOS:
echo '1+1' | R --slave --interactive
But the FIFO example does not.

Anyway, it seems that if I remove --interactive then I get no echo.

> > 2) without quitting on the first error,
> > on all platforms?
>
> One option is to use
>
>      options(error = function() invokeRestart("abort"))

This seems good enough for my use case, thanks much!
Luckily, this also solves the "disabling the crash dialog" problem, which I
have if I specify --interactive.

Gabor