[Rd] Output mis-encoded on Windows w/ RGui 3.5.1 in strange case

Kevin Ushey kevinu@hey @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Jul 17 17:16:30 CEST 2018

Sorry, I should have been more clear -- if I write the contents of
that script to a file called 'encoding.R' and source that, then I see
the reported behavior.

Here's something standalone that you should hopefully be able to copy
+ paste into RGui to reproduce:

code <- '
   x <- 1
   print(list())
   save(x, file = tempfile())
   output <- encodeString("apple")
   print(output)
'

file <- tempfile(fileext = ".R")
writeLines(code, con = file)
source(file)

When I run this, I see:

> code <- '
+    x <- 1
+    print(list())
+    save(x, file = tempfile())
+    output <- encodeString("apple")
+    print(output)
+ '

> file <- tempfile(fileext = ".R")
> writeLines(code, con = file)
> source(file)
list()
[1] "\002ÿþapple\003ÿþ"

This is with today's R-devel:

> sessionInfo()
R Under development (unstable) (2018-07-16 r74967)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 17134)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] compiler_3.6.0

I realize the example looks incomplete, but it seems like each step is
required to reproduce the strange behavior:

   1) You need to print an empty list,
   2) You need to invoke save() after printing that empty list,
   3) Then, attempts to call encodeString() will produce the strange output.

For what it's worth, it may be related to a behavior I'm seeing where
the first name printed for an R list is quoted with backticks even
when not necessary:

> list(x = 1, y = 2)
$`x`
[1] 1