[Rd] Top level \Sexpr and R CMD check

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Jul 12 16:35:40 CEST 2018

On 12/07/2018 9:46 AM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:30 PM Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think I found the bug.  The tools::checkRd function only processes
>>> \Sexpr's with "stage=render".  I think the author (who might have been
>>> me, I forget) assumed that would imply all the earlier stages as well,
>>> but apparently it doesn't.
>>>
>>> So you could use that as a workaround.
>>>
>>> I'll do some more checking, then submit a bug report and patch to Bugzilla.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch
>>
>> Thanks much! I tried using stage=render, but then I get an error at
>> install time:
>>
>> Warning: /private/var/folders/59/0gkmw1yj2w7bf2dfc3jznv5w0000gn/T/RtmpCG4Qz9/R.INSTALLec4743ba8cf4/ps/man/ps_handle.Rd:45-48:
>> Section \Sexpr is unrecognized and will be dropped
>>
>> And indeed the whole section is dropped.
>>
>> Seems like there is no clean workaround here.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> G.
>
> Btw. would it make sense to just allow \Sexpr as a top level section?
> Maybe here:
> https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/98e9999eb0e8616550632a1675e4d2dbe630d5e4/src/library/tools/R/RdConv2.R#L500-L503

I think the mental model is that \Sexpr is essentially a preprocessor
directive, and should disappear before rendering.  It's the final result
that needs to be checked.  So \Sexpr should be able to produce top level
sections, but it shouldn't be considered to be one.

The reason checkRd has a stages argument is because it might be working
on partially processed Rd objects, rather than the original .Rd file.
Each of the stages should be processed exactly once, in order.

> At least if stage=render, there is no way to check if the returned
> value is always a valid top level section, anyway.

But you can check if it is sometimes, which is better than nothing.
Most \Sexpr content is really simple, so this is probably good enough.

Duncan