[Rd] Testing for vectors

Gabe Becker becker@g@be @ending from gene@com
Sat Jul 7 20:50:57 CEST 2018

Hadley,

> I was thinking primarily of completing the set of is.matrix() and
> is.array(), or generally, how do you say: is `x` a 1d dimensional
> thing?

Can you clarify what you mean by dimensionality sense and specifically 1d
here?

You can have a 1d array which is different from what your proposed function
would call a vector. So is.null(dim(x)) doesn't seem the same as 1d, right?

> x = array(1:10)

 [1]  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

> class(x)

[1] "array"

> dim(x)

[1] 10

> dim(1:10)

NULL

You can also have an n x 1 matrix, which *technically* has 2 dimensions but
conceptually is equivalent to a 1d array and/or a vector.

Also, are you including lists in your conceptions of 1d vector here? I'm
with Duncan here, in that i'm having trouble understanding exactly what you
want to do without a bit more context.

Best,
~G