[Rd] Best practices in developing package: From a single file

Mark van der Loo mark.vanderloo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 14:59:56 CET 2018

I fully agree with Joris and Hadley on roxygen2.

Additionally:

I wrote and published my first package before roxygen (or roxygen2) was
available. I found editing .Rd extremely terse (especially when code is
updated). For example, the fact that there are no spaces allowed between }
and { in \param{}{} has hurt my brain quite a few times, especially since R
CMD check did not give any useful error messages about it. For me it is a
signal that the Rd parser is rather primitive. On the other hand Roxygen2
now usually gives pretty good error messages when I syntax error something.

Also, the 'parent' of roxygen is Doxygen, which was already widely used
(also by me) in the C/C++ community before roxygen was published. I cannot
remember anyone ever complaining about C/C++ documentation deteriorating
because of Doxygen.

-Mark