[Rd] help(pac=xxx) get data from CRAN?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Jan 29 21:58:20 CET 2018

Hello, All:

       A feature request:

       What about modifying the code for "help(pac=xxx)" so it looks for
"xxx" on CRAN as well as locally:  If it finds it locally, it uses that
version but with an annotation reporting what it found on CRAN:

* If it doesn't find CRAN, it doesn't report anything on this.
* If it finds CRAN, and the version numbers match, it reports that.
* If it finds CRAN, and the local version is behind CRAN, it says,
"newer version on CRAN".
* If it finds CRAN, and the local version is ahead of CRAN, it says
something like, "Local newer than CRAN."

       This occurred to me, because someone suggested I update the "sos"
package to use CRAN to get package information for packages not already
installed.  It's a great idea, but I'm not ready to do that just yet.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves