[Rd] Why R should never move to git

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:07:20 CET 2018

On 25/01/2018 7:44 AM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Duncan Murdoch
> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> but that branch doesn't show up in the Github web site.
>
> It is right there:
> https://github.com/dmurdoch/manipulateWidget/branches
>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Personally I would suggest to call it master, because it is just
> easier. Your master should correspond to the upstream master, and you
> can do your own stuff in other branches.

That makes sense, but I don't see a way to rename branches on Github.  I
did see a way to make it my default branch, but there's a scary warning:

"Are you sure?

Changing your default branch can have unintended consequences that can
affect new pull requests and clones."

To answer yes to this I would have to say "I understand, update the
default branch", and since I don't understand the consequences, I didn't
click it.

Duncan Murdoch