[Rd] Why R should never move to git

Iñaki Úcar i.ucar86 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 13:03:44 CET 2018

> On 25/01/2018 2:57 AM, Iñaki Úcar wrote:
>>
>> For what it's worth, this is my workflow:
>>
>> 1. Get a fork.
>> 2. From the master branch, create a new branch called fix-[something].
>> 3. Put together the stuff there, commit, push and open a PR.
>> 4. Checkout master and repeat from 2 to submit another patch.
>>
>> Sometimes, I forget the step of creating the new branch and I put my
>> fix on top of the master branch, which complicates things a bit. But
>> you can always rename your fork's master and pull it again from
>> upstream.
>>

> I saw no way to follow your renaming suggestion.  Can you tell me the steps
> it would take?  Remember, there's already a PR from the master branch on my
> fork.  (This is for future reference; I already followed Gabor's more
> complicated instructions and have solved the immediate problem.)

Sorry for the confusion: the step of renaming your master branch isn't
really needed, because you can pull the original master branch and
call it whatever you want in one command. The process is as follows:

1) Add the upstream repo as another remote:

git remote add upstream https://github.com/the/original/repo

2) Pull the upstream master with a different name:

git pull upstream master:patch2

3) Edit, add, commit and push patch2 to your fork:

git checkout patch2
git push origin patch2

4) open a fresh new PR from "patch2" (the first one is intact).

Iñaki